Higher Powers

Yesterday, I was supposed to go running.  Some of you who have kept up with my blogging know that I ran a 5k a few weeks back.  I am still running because I am participating in a corporate challenge in central park in June.  So, since I haven’t run at all this week, I decided yesterday had to be the day.

My day at work had been pretty busy, but bearable.  But around 4:30 things got a little hectic.  I’m supposed to leave my job no later than 5:20 to ensure that I can catch the shuttle bus to my condo building.  Well, before I knew it, it was 5:25 and I clearly wasn’t going to make my shuttle in time.  This was a bit of a blow because I wanted to run and be home and relaxed for the evening.  I certainly didn’t want to stay at work, and I had known that a few coworkers had gone to happy hour across the street.  The plan was now to join them for a few minutes, before taking the 15 minute walk over to my shuttle bus whose next departing time was 6:30.  So I was at the restaurant waiting for 6:10 to arrive and staying away from alcohol since I didn’t think it was a good idea to drink before running.

At approximately 6:09, I said my goodbyes and turned toward the door at which time, the skies opened up and it began pouring.  Determined to stay focused and get my run in, I headed out, even though I didn’t have an umbrella.  Two minutes into my walk, I had begun to regret the decision to walk because it had begun to rain harder.  Oh well, I’m already wet now…can’t really get more wet, so I walked.  It rained the entire walk, but it did let up once I got to the shuttle van meeting point, but one thing was missing….the shuttle van.  6:30….6:35….6:40….6:45, the van finally shows up.  Appears as if he had gotten pulled over for talking on the phone.  Well, at least I was on my way home.

But……not so.  There was traffic beyond what was normal for that time of day.  In addition, I had received a text message from a friend who had recently suffered a traumatic event, who wanted to go have drinks with a few of his friends….he wanted to leave in approximately 45 minutes, and I wasn’t even home yet.

All in all, home by 7:15 wet, cranky, and tired, I never made it to my run.  I’m not sure if all the obstacles were trying to set me up to be there for a friend, or if something bad was going to happen if I went for a run, but one thing is for certain….powers greater than me, did not want me running yesterday.  Hmmm


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s